The O visa category applies to foreign nationals, temporary workers with extraordinary abilities or achievements in the sciences, education, arts, sports, business, and the motion picture and television industry. The O visa is also issued to people who support these individuals in performing their duties.
The O visa classification is a non-immigrant visa and does not allow you to work permanently or indefinitely in the U.S. O visa holders may stay for a maximum of three years, but they may be granted extensions depending on their employment.
If you want to explore other avenues in acquiring work visas, consult with our office to find out the best available and applicable employment-based laws for your situation.
The O-1 visa is issued to individuals who possess extraordinary ability in their respective fields. There are two types of O-1 visas, depending on the applicant’s expertise.
- O-1A — This category includes people with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, business, education, and athletics.
- O-1B — This category includes people with extraordinary abilities in the arts, motion pictures, and television.
To qualify for an O-1 visa, you must be able to demonstrate your extraordinary ability.
- For professionals in education, business, athletics, and sciences, you must be ranked within the top percentage in your field and possess exemplary expertise amongst your peers.
- For professionals in the arts, you must possess distinction and a widely recognized degree of skill. You must be renowned, prominent, or a leading figure in your field.
- For professionals in the motion picture or television industry, you must present extraordinary achievements. Additionally, you must be recognized as an outstanding or leading figure in the motion picture or television landscape.
The Law Offices of Michael J. Gurfinkel, Inc. can also help individuals apply for an O-2 visa. This is issued to people who will accompany and support an O-1 visa holder in a specific event or performance.
As with the O-1 visa, we will help O-2 applicants in:
- Checking their eligibility
- Gathering the right documents
- Filing the appropriate petition
While it is difficult to provide a definite timeline due to various factors that may affect the O-1 and O-2 visa application, working with our lawyers reduces the risk of delays and improves your chances of visa approval.