K-1 and K-2 Visa Application: What is the Difference?

The Law Offices of Michael J. Gurfinkel, Inc. provides legal assistance for K-1 and K-2 visa applications. These two types of visas are different, but they are connected. K-1 visa, also called the Fiancé(e) visa, is given to the fiancé or fiancée of a U.S. citizen petitioner. K-2 visa, on the other hand,  is given to the child of a K-1 visa holder.


Our team works with you throughout the application process for a K-1 or K-2 visa and ensures your petition is handled accordingly.


The K-1 non-immigrant visa (Fiancé(e) visa) allows a foreign-born individual to enter the U.S. to marry their U.S. citizen partner. It is effective only for 90 days from the time of arrival in the U.S. It means that the K-1 visa holder must marry their partner within that period.


Once married within 90 days of being admitted to the United States as a K-1 non-immigrant, the foreign fiancé(e), now the spouse, can then apply for lawful permanent resident status (a Green Card) by filing a Form I-485 application for adjustment of status with USCIS.



If your foreign-born fiancé(e) has an unmarried child under 21 years of age, they’re eligible to come to the U.S. using the K-2 non-immigrant visa. This type of visa is a derivative visa of K-1 and depends on the successful processing of the K-1 visa.


When the child’s (or children’s) K-2 visa has been approved, they can travel with your fiancé(e) to the U.S. They also have the option to travel within a year after your fiancé(e) arrives in the United States. They will be included in their parent’s LPR application, so they will also get a Green Card when their parent gets theirs.



If you are filing for a K-1 and K-2 visa, the attorneys at The Law Offices of Michael J. Gurfinkel, Inc. can help you determine eligibility and can assist you in processing your fiancé(e)’s visa petition. Our immigration lawyers can help ensure that all applicable forms, documents, and fees are submitted to the proper government agency.




  • We have a wealth of experience — We have decades of U.S. immigration knowledge in processing K-1 and K-2 visas. Our team makes certain that you meet all the requirements you need to get your fiancé(e) and their children to the United States. And if we encounter legal complications, we can help you strategize and find all applicable laws to reunite you with your loved ones and live the American Dream.
  • We put our clients first — When you work with us, we put your interests, needs, and goals first. We find all the relevant laws to help you obtain your visa, and we are honest in communicating with you about the possible results of your case. We keep you updated throughout the process.

Call us to schedule an appointment.

Book an appointment