If you are a U.S. Citizen, you can petition your unmarried son or daughter 21 years old or older to immigrate to the United States by applying for an F-1 Immigrant Visa.


The Law Offices of Michael J. Gurfinkel, Inc. can provide legal expertise for you and your unmarried child. We have decades of experience and have a team of knowledgeable immigration attorneys and paralegals who can help you achieve your American Dream.

Family Preference Visa-What is an F1 Immigrant Visa?


An F1 immigrant visa allows a United States Citizen to petition their unmarried son or daughter 21 years old or older to immigrate to the U.S.


Aside from F1, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has different categories for family preference visas that allow you (a legal permanent resident or United States Citizen) to petition a qualifying relative to immigrate to the United States.


  • Second preference or F2A – A petition for spouse and minor children (below 21 years old) of lawful permanent resident
  • Second Preference or F2B – A petition for unmarried sons and daughters aged 21 or older of legal permanent residents
  • Third Preference or F3 – A petition for married sons and daughters of U.S Citizens
  • Fourth Preference or F4 – A petition for brothers and sisters of U.S Citizens




There are specific criteria that you and your unmarried child aged 21 years old or older must meet for a successful F1 Immigrant Visa petition. You, the parent or petitioner, must be a United States Citizen and have a U.S. address.


For your child, they should be unmarried and at least 21 years old or older. You should be able to prove your relationship with your child either with a birth certificate, or if adopted, an adoption decree.


After meeting the criteria, various forms and documents for your spouse and your child must be submitted. Once completed, the applicant or applicants must also be prepared for and pass an interview with the U.S. Embassy.


Why Choose the Law Offices of Michael J. Gurfinkel, Inc. for your F-1 Immigrant Visa Application?


Filing for an F-1 Immigrant Visa can be a long process and sometimes, there can be complications which is unique to your situation. That is why you need an immigration lawyer to help you through the process. The Law Offices of Michael J. Gurfinkel, Inc. has a dedicated legal team with extensive knowledge and experience in immigration law. Our team can strategize, provide guidance on required documents, and file your visa immigrant application.


We have been working on immigration application cases for decades. Let us help you accomplish your immigrant visa application correctly. Call us today to schedule an appointment.

Call us to schedule an appointment today.

Book an Appointment