Caregivers Needed At Your Care Homes?

Caregivers Needed At Your Care Homes?

Many hardworking people own and operate assisted – living facilities (or care homes). The U.S. population is aging, and many Americans can no longer care for themselves. More Americans are going into assisted living facilities. But assisted living facilities need caregivers.

One of the major complaints among owners and administrators of assisted living facilities is they just cannot find qualified caregivers to work at their facilities. Not many American workers apply for the job. Some people are hired, but quit a short time later. Meanwhile, the care home operator winds up doing “double duty,” by both running the facility and having to look after their patients. It can be exhausting work, and if they just had qualified caregivers, their life could be easier and they could expand their business by opening up other facilities or increasing the bed count at their existing facility.

Have you ever thought of petitioning someone you trust from the Philippines as a caregiver to work at your facility? And if you are an administrator at a facility that desperately needs caregivers, you could suggest to your employer to petition someone from the Philippines. It could even be your relative, such as a niece, nephew, cousin, etc. In fact, I have posted several videos on my YouTube channel, “US Immigration TV,” dealing with family petitioning family members for an employment – based green card. Yes, you could even petition a relative to come to the U.S. to be a caregiver at your facility.

And I want to be clear: I am not talking about a “work permit.” I am talking about a green card. Many people are unaware that they can petition their family members for employment-based green cards. They were also not aware that green cards could be available not only for college graduates or skilled workers, but also for what is considered “unskilled” jobs, such as housekeepers or caregivers.

Right now, it takes approximately 2 ½ to 3 years to process the green card. So, the sooner you start, the sooner the person can arrive and work at you facility. The basic requirements are:

  • It must be a real job that the person will work at once they arrive in the U.S. It cannot be a fixed or made-up job.
  • The person being petitioned must have experience for that job. However, there’s really not that much experience required to be a caregiver. In fact, my office has processed several cases where no experience was required, and the case was approved.
  • The employer must first make a good-faith effort to recruit a U.S. worker, who is ready, willing, and able to work at the job. This is done by way of a recruitment process, involving advertising in the newspaper, posting on websites, etc. But the attorney handling your case would guide you through this recruitment process. Unfortunately, few U.S. workers apply to work as caregivers, as many of you have probably experienced in trying to find someone to work at your facility.
  • The employer must have the “ability to pay” the caregiver’s wage. This typically is satisfied or met if the employer’s net income on their tax returns equals at least the caregiver’s wage.
  • It does not need to be a large facility. Even a 6–bed facility could petition a caregiver, provided there is a need for the caregiver and the employer has the ability to pay.
  • If there are no qualified U.S. workers after a good faith recruitment effort, the job could be “certified” for the alien by the Department of Labor. The petition is then filed with USCIS, and if approved, the case is sent to the embassy for immigrant visa processing.
  • Once the visa is issued, the person would come to the U.S. as a green card holder to work for you.

I know it is difficult finding qualified caregivers to work at your facility. In the meantime, you are working so hard, and you could earn so much more and expand your business if you could find reliable help. Petitioning a trusted caregiver from the Philippines, even a relative, could be the answer and provide you with peace of mind.

If this could be the answer to your situation, and you are interested in petitioning a caregiver (or even a housekeeper), I would recommend that you consult with an attorney, who can evaluate your case and assist in processing, not a work permit, but a green card for a caregiver.



Follow us on, YouTube: US Immigration TV and

Four offices to serve you:

1-866-GURFINKEL (1-866-487-3465)

+632 8894-0258 or +632 8894-0239